All indications are that the County's 2016 budget will include cuts to the nonprofit sector-including the arts. ArtsWestchester, in collaboration with our affiliates and artists, is advocating for level funding. However, it is an uphill climb. A reduction in County allocation for the arts will affect ArtsWestchster's grants to cultural organizations throughout Westchester. The County Executive and the Board of Legislators need to know that residents-not just arts administrators--want level funding for the arts. Please help us by:
1. Organizing a team of people to sit with us at the up-coming public hearings. We don't need your organization's leadership-just as many bodies as possible to stand in unison when the arts speakers make their comments. Encourage your volunteers, parents, supporters to join us. Those of you who have done this before know we have to arrive early and that it can be a long night, particularly in a difficult budget year, so prepare your group.
OUR THEATER TEAM: Westchester Theater Supporters:
CONTACT CAROL ARRUCCI at WestchesterArts2016@gmail.com to attend this meeting with other theatre friends and supporters.
PLEASE EMAIL CAROL and PROVIDE YOUR NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS & CELL NUMBER & state that you would like to join us, one week before the event (Nov. 15).
Carol will gather the list of theater supporters and email it to the Arts Council on November 16th.
PLEASE JOIN US ON November 24th:
Tuesday, November 24th arrive at 6:15 p.m.
Horace Greeley High School
70 Roaring Brook Road, Chappaqua
2. Participate in a grass-roots email campaign. Voter Voice is a quick and easy way that your board members and constituents can let County officials know they want the arts supported. Please send your contacts a personal note encouraging them to send an email message via voter voice. Again, we need residents -and a lot of them--to inform their representatives. Here's the link to pass along: Advocacy Campaign
3. Have a board member send a letter. A few personal letters can have great impact. In addition to the email campaign, ask your board president send personal letter to the County Executive. A brief statement is fine:
- thank the County for past support,
- provide one or two examples of the impact your organization has had on the community,
- and request level funding for the arts in the FY 2016 County Budget.
The above letter was originally sent from Joanne Mongelli, Deputy Director of ArtsWestchester and edited to target our theatre community.
Thanks for reaching out, Joanne!!
Please call if you have any questions. Wear your favorite "show-shirt".